Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I Did With (the last two weeks of) My Summer Vacation

Hello! Welcome to Regular Ruminations. I'm happy to announce that I finally have something worth posting. I think the thing about blogging is really getting started, so now that I'm here things will keep on rolling. My computer crapped out the first time I tried to write this post (not sure what that says about my future as a crafting/book reading blogger... only time will tell.)

I'm currently at my parents house, learning how to sew on my Mom's sewing machine. She promised that if I made a real effort to learn this summer, I would be able to take her sewing machine until Christmas. Between traveling and a life-changing crisis, I've had two weeks to learn. After being frustrated with a couple of patterns for cute shirts that are coming out to look more like pajamas, I decided to try my hand at making purses. I found a couple of tutorials online, modified them a bit to fit my scrap sizes (my fabric collection is dismal, not like some of you other bloggers I've seen, with beautiful fabric collections I can only dream of), and now have three unfinished purses on my hands! (I apologize in advance for poor photo quality, my camera is running out of batteries.)
These two bags were made from a very basic bag pattern found on crafster (let me know if you want the link). The larger one is from one of the shirts and the little one from a quilting swatch I bought at JoAnne's for a book binding project I tackled over Spring Break. They're both unfinished because I didn't have eyelets to put into the straps, but I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out. Both have pockets for my phone and the flowery one has a pen pocket in it. It also has a pretty lining!


I'm much more proud of the third bag I made. I taught myself how to pleat and used interfacing to the bag and handles stiff. Inside is a pocket for $, (not like there's ever a whole lot of that in my pocketbooks), and also one for cards. I still haven't attached the other handle, because it was quite a bit of work for my slow sewing fingers! The pleating looks much better on the other side than the one pictured.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with how slopy some of my stitching is, but I'm pleased with everything I've learned in the last 48 hours. Sewing makes so much more sense! The best news is that the fabric was all free because I raided my mom's closet. Three purses, for the price of none. I love it.

I can't wait to share more with all the other crafting bloggers out there. I hope you enjoy your visit to RR.

2 comments:

Cova Zubia said...

Oh, I can recognise your urge to get something out of that sewing machine. Thank for your comment on my blog and take the sewing machine with you!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Hope your sewing is the start of a life long interest! You have done so well on the bags - i never would have guessed that you are new to sewing.